Hi,

I returned to a site that once impressed me, only to find out development
stopped (http://m-arriaga.net/software/newdocms/). I wonder if other people
are working on similar project. Googling and searching freshmeat did not turn
up productive results. Anybody can provide further pointers to similar
projects?

The idea is to organize documents in a database rather than using a directory
system, so that there would be multiple ways to search for documents. This,
of course, doesn't require a roject, it can be implemented with any SQL
database. The smart thing is that it then becomes accessible from all
applications, iow it looks and feels almost like a file system, but is really
a database.

One could then search for that formatted document that reported on the 2002
conference somewhere in Hawai or California where the words drumstick
appeared in twice, for example. This can now only be done by running find and
waiting forever, while the suggested system would hold some metadata that
would make searching faster (with the disadvantage that at filing time the
user has to supply the metadata. But that's not so bad as some file types
don't allow for easy integration of metadate. Pictures and pdfs are good
examples, although I could also think of archived web pages and more.)

Arie
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as