It seems that you SuSE as a minor distribution or that they come out of
the blue. That's not the reality.

SuSE was just one step ahead of RH in the commercial world. They were not
so nice to the unpaying consumer. But they didn't stand still - notice
that they have a big support from SAP. That's alone can build them well.

They also have Oracle's support (through United Linux).

My guess is that SuSE was just chapter to buy than RH, so Novell gave it a
green light (with the help of IBM).

Form commercial purposes It seems that RH and SuSE are they same:
1. Support
2. Free software with propriety software.
3. Support from the big players.

For private purposes I think Mandrake will have a great time. Fedora is
too young to judge. But still - I see Debian growth (maybe with HP
support) and when Sarge will be out.

The geographical aspect of the issue is very interesting... But I'm not
sure it has too much with the decisions. Two aspects which may still be
important:
1. How does the EU will threat software patents.
2. How does the EU will threat Microsoft monopoly.
3. US restriction laws of encryption export.

Lior Kaplan