Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> http://kerneltrap.org/comment/reply/1574
>
> Note that Ulrich Drepper says there that Fedora Core 1 and RHEL3
> should not have the problem. Shachar says that RHAS3 is slow -
> question is, whether or not that is the same kernel as RHEL3 uses, and
> which version Ulrich actually meant (he raises the point of kernel
> version numbers, then provides benchmarks without any indication of
> versions...).
>
> So in the 7.2 vs 9 case, can the client grab the kernel RPM from
> Fedora Core 1, rpm -ivh it reboot, and compare again?

Eh, it might be more involved. Look at the last posting from Jakub
Jelinek in the URL above: "Ulrich meant glibc CVS HEAD."

Makes sense: NPTL is split between the kernel and glibc. Jakub is,
IIRC, the glibc maintainer at Red Hat. The posting is from Nov 5, the
latest glibc erratum is from Nov 13,

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-325.html

It is not clear from the description if this includes the locking
patch. I don't know how dangerous it is to upgrade glibc on RH9 to
Fedora's version. I would not do it on a mission-critical machine.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]