On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Elad Almadoi wrote:

> Hey!
> I have an IBM xSeries 335 runing redhat 7.3
> Till few a days ago all was runing as it cant get better
> Looks like from it self, a problem started:
> The machine have many IP's, the main one is configured as eth0 and the
> others as eth0:0 eth0:1 eth0:2, etc...
> All the eth0:* won't reply to ping, the main one does reply

here is an idea:

1. stop using the old way of defining additional IP addresses (i.e. the
   eth0:* devices). instead, start using the 'ip' command to add addresses
   (i.e. 'ip addr add AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD/24 dev eth0', change '24' to the
    proper number of bits that compose your network's netmask).

2. problems don't just "start to happen out of the blue". something is
   causing them. now, drop this "saint peter" attitude, and try to
   genuinely think - what _did_ change in the machine's configuration?
   was it rebooted on the day where the problem started happening? perhaps
   someone changed a config file a month ago, without checking that it
   works, and only after a recent reboot or 'service network restart' or a
   similar operation, the new config file came into effect?

3.

> All the IRC servers runing (even on main IP) after few hours
> disconnecting the sockets, with the reason "Connection reset by peer"
> Nothing for the pings when I try to lookup on tcpdump, like they are not
> getting to the machine
> BUT process can listen to that IP's and it's posiblle to connect them
> from the internet
> No firewall installed\runing
> Anyone got any idea?
> Thanks!

did you try to reboot the machine? did you try to go over the config files
and checking for their correctness? even if you think nothing changed at
all - check. saying "but i didn't change anything", is usually a good way
to avoid solving problems. you change soemthing. or someone else with root
access changed something. or some process that you are running accepted a
change from other devices on the network (i'm not talking about break-ins,
rather about a miss-configuration), etc.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,