On Saturday 20 December 2003 00:34, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   I have an (old) 440LX sy-6kl PII board that beeps at boot time when
> my AGP ATI 128pro is installed, and displays nothing. It is one long
> beep and 3 shorts one. Googling for these beeps suggests that the
> mother board notifies about having some issues with the video card. I
> have no way to test the ATI card, so it could be that it is broken.
> However the news groups suggest that the 440LX chip set might have power
> issues with AGP cards.
>   Any comments?
>   The machine has a 200w power supply. Is that too small for the power
> hogging AGP card? currently the only power consumer is the PII
> processor since I still haven't installed any HDs. However I do plan to
> put in there 1 or 2 small SCSI disks. Does the 200w power supply too
> small?
>   I would like to get suggestions for an AGP video card that should
> work with the sy-6kl board and have a free software driver. Broad
> classification of AGP cards that fulfils those 2 requirements would be
> most useful too. Should I drop the AGP requirement and settle for a PCI
> card? I do like to take advantage of the AGP slot and get one more
> general purpose PCI slot.

Sounds weird, from my experience, i'd bet your card is broken.
Dont you have another computer? just to test the card on a working computer
set?
All in all, 200W should be enough, especially for old p2 boards (boards today
consume much more power though).
Dont give up on an AGP card, it should work, manufactors dont just provide you
with an AGP slot, you should also use it...
In short, test the card on a different computer, see if it works, if it
doesnt, dump it. If it does, try to google for your board name and card name
to see if there are any known issues, if there arn't, mail your board
manufactor.
Good luck.

--
Dan Fruehauf.