Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

If current trend continues, in three to six months Google will be hit
with more Mozilla searches than IE5.5 and IE5 searches. Linux is still
only 1%, so this must be either Mac users, or Windows. Still, this
will be pretty good news any way you turn it.

The good news might be that more people upgrade from IE5.* to IE6.0, hopefully plugging the better-known security holes in the process.

It looks like IE6 is the only browser on the rise in that graph. How
is that good?

Had IE6 been the only browser on the rise, that wouldn't have been good.

Check out thefollowing graphs:
Nov 2002 (a year ago) http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-nov02.html. Mozilla isn't even mentioned.
March 2003 http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-mar03.html. Mozilla is mentioned, but I'll be damned if I can find the actual line in the graph
June 2003 http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-jun03.html. Mozilla is clearly above all non-IE and IE4 browsers.

In the latest graph (looking at it again), it's no longer clear whether "others" continue downwards with the rest, or behind the Mozilla line. In any case, I see a trend torwards a single browser dominating the alternative market share. I think that's good. Mozilla's standard compliance means that if that's the alternative browser site builders mark as "should work", there are greater chances that konqi and friends will also work.

In other words, I don't think IE6 is the only one gaining. It's also pretty clear to me that IE6 is getting its share on IE5 and IE5.5's expense, and not the alternatives. This is good whichever way you turn it.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration & consulting