On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:27:20AM +0200, David Sapir wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to identify a computer in a unique way. Can anyone point me to
> source code in C or C++ that gets from the system:

There is no way to do this, in the general case, except maybe by using
the CPU ID, which doesn't exist on most CPUs and is disabled on most
of the rest. You can take a look under /proc/* to see most of these
values, though. You should also add the MAC address.

> BIOS ID
> HardDisk ID
> Volume ID
> Motherboard ID
> CPU ID
>
> I'm using Linux Red Hat 9.0
>
> This code should work on various hardware configurations.
>
> I already looked for it using Google, but I had no luck.

A better question would be why do you need it. If it's for copy
protection, forget about it - it's trivial to defeat, not to mention
highly obnoxious.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]