Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

This being a slow friday evening, this strikes me as an excellent time
to ask y'all where would you like to see Linux (the kernel) and Linux
(the OS) be in five years. Go wild...

I'd like many things, mostly moving it closer to Plan9.

- Move closer to Plan 9: per-process filesystem views and easy way to
  implement filesystem interfaces in userland.  Directory unions are
  also a good idea, too many programs end up implementing search paths.

- Hierachical administration.  There is no reason why root should be
  able to sandbox untrusted code by creating users/groups, chroot,
  etc., while a user can't do it.  I'd like to see a set-theoretic
  approach to permissions:

- Sandboxing means giving something a subset of my permission set.

- A group, as now used in unix, is a subset of each of the members.

  - A union of several users is also interesting - it's a limited
    superuser (root is the union of all).  Plan 9 something like this,
    IIRC.

- Files that are also directories.  There are so many things that can
  be neatly expressed with them.  Reiserfs 4 is going to have them.

  - Perhaps "reach pipes" where you can create named sub-pipes would be
    a good idea (i.e. give meaning to fchdir() to a pipe).  Or perhaps
    it's a bad idea.  I haven't decided yet.

- A clean terminal protocol.  No ioctls please.  No ptys, just a pair
  of pipes.  And a portable extensible protocol on top of it.  And
  uncurses ;-).  I have a lot of ideas here but I need more time to
  flesh them out...

That's more or less all I think of now.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Note: I can only read email on week-ends...