Igor:
>But can you tell me the place (url/tel.no of company) in Israel, where I
can see the price of it.
>And CAN this motherboard be bought without extra movements in Israel (ie
not requiring to order >it from Intel-Europe or abroad company reseller).

I don't know if adverts are ok on this list, so I'll send the name and
number of the supplier from which I bought the intel S845WD board by private
mail to Igor. Anyway it wasn't a very specialized dealer (although it wasn't
an internet shop), they sell most of the pc's the Hebrew u buys, they had
the board in stock a year ago. I think they suggested it actually.

>Also, there is a question, whether this internal videocard support high
resolutions.
>If not, then which card it's better to buy for work with high resolutions:
>at least good quality of 2D for 1600x1200x85.  3D is not critical.

I can't testify on that. The RAGE XL card worked ok with 1280x1024.
Currently the server is working on a 10 year old 14" SVGA 800x600 monitor,
mostly in console mode. Sorry. The board has an agp slot tho.

>I'll think about this. As a matter of fact I was not planning to use either
SCSI or RAID. I
>would prefer now to check, if such kind of demand will be among users.
Because typically our
>user programs mostly occupy lots of CPU now, but do not intensively
read/write something to Hard
>Drive. If needed, we can upgrade to RAID or SCSI easily imho (to buy
another IDE for RAID or
>SCSI adapter + SCSI drive).

RAID 1 is for the admin, not for the users. In case of disk failure you can
plan your downtime more easily. It hardly adds performance (yes I know this
is controversial), so the users won't know about it.

>We have generic NQS (http://www.gnqs.org/oldgnqs.

NQS :) This brings back some good old memories :)

Ran Rubinstein
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Faculty of Medicine, Hebrew University, Ein Karem, Jerusalem, Israel
Tel +972-2-6757906 Fax +972-2-6758992