You could do it quite easilly. Use:
/sbin/mkfs.vfat /dev/hd**
(You should use the right letter and number for the extra partition).
Afterwards, using fdisk, make this partition active. If you do so, Windows
(assuming it's either XP or 2k) will reffer to it as C:, and you could
install it there.
Also, make sure you have a linux bootable media, so you could fix the MBR
after you install windows (it will reset it). Make sure you know how to
reinstall your boot loader.

Should work like a charm. Windows will see the FreeDos partition as D:, and
will ignore it, most of the time. If you want to make double sure it doen't
write on it, you could change its type (using fdisk) to something else, and
return it later to its original type.

Goodluck.

Ez.