Quoting David Harel, from the post of Fri, 05 Mar:

> Quite simple, even though I like to use GUI tools I am used to the lpc
> command. With it, in LPRng, I can open/close both the input to the queue
> and the queue output (lpc commands start/stop, enable/disable). I did not
> find those features in cups. I need those features because my printing
> environment is on the network.

and what bothers you is that all the functionality exists in the CUPS
CLI but under different binary names?

this is from lpc(8):

SEE ALSO
    accept(8), cancel(1), disable(8), enable(8),  lp(1),  lpr(1),
    lprm(1), lpstat(1), reject(8), CUPS Software Administrators Manual,
    http://localhost:631/documentation.html

they split it for several reasons I suppose, but I'll leave the design
arguments aside, the same API (if not more) is available in CUPS.

if you are missing those tools, you may have an RPM missing. on debian
they are split to cupsys-client and cupsys-bsd (latter is lp/lpc/lprm
compat binaries)

> But what is the matter anyway. Is cups is IN and LPRng is OUT?

I remember reading somewhere that CUPS is more popular, can't remember
where. I know it's better for me because of the one-stop-shop for all
drivers and types of queues, and because the printouts are easier to
fine-tune to what I need (special printing features of certain printer
models, setting DPI and other stuff).

like I said, I tried LPRng once and didn't like it, but I can't remember
anymore why, it was too long ago.

--
Fuel for the soul
Ira Abramov