IANAL
All views are according to me very limited understanding of copyright law and the GPL. This is not legal advice. You would have to be damn crazy to accept legal advice from me.

Omer Zak wrote:

Where can I find information about the following issues:
1. Using GPLed software on embedded hardware, where the software is on ROM and cannot be modified by regular users.

No matter. They still get the binary, they still get the sources, and they can still create derived work if they so wish. You are not required to LET them modify your product. They can burn a new ROM if they wish.

2. What happens if the system must not be modifiable by normal users due to regulatory issues (such as WiFi cards or medical equipment), but the manufactures wishes to use GPLed software to implement parts of the system software.

The GPL explicitly relieves you of the responsibility to the way derived work is used. If they are changing the software, and as a result they are breaking the law, it is them breaking the law.

As far as my understanding goes, GPL does not protect your "right to hack". It protects your right to create derivative work. As such, not being able to change the original product, whether because of technical or because of regulatory reasons, does not strike me as a GPL violation.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.