On Sunday 01 August 2004 16:30, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:08:58AM +0300, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >

> >>It's been a while since I last touched this but I suspect you'd have
> >>to have an invisible window on top of the entire display to catch
> >>all events and pass them on. I think this is the way spyware for X11
> >>used to be done.
> >>

> >So you basically suggest that I either have to be quite intrusive or
> >paÃch the window manager, right?
> >

> If I remember correctly then when you tell Xlib which events your window
> is interested in then
> you can specify that these events shouldn't stop at your window but
> passed on to windows behind
> it on the "stack", that way you can sniff everything that passes through
> without hurting any other X
> client.

That function known as XPeekEvent, it reads the event, but keep it in the stack
without changing it's calling order...
But there are other functions as well that can do that, like XIfEvent for
example...XNextEvent takes the event and remove it from stuck.
But we must remember that some events are local while others are reported to the
server...

> For instance, I think this is the reason it's advisable (or used
> to be advisable at least back when
> host-based access control was used) for security-concience programs to
> grab focus when reading
> passwords in order to make it harder on sniffer programs to tag-along on
> the events this way (I never
> dug this path, I just wrote "regular" Xlib programs, so I'm not sure).
I think that reading keyboard pressing will do a good job for this thing.. the problem
is that in x we can listen and access all the windows and
sub windows in the system... So i guess you need a way to overcome this if you really
want a secure way to do it, you need a way to overcome
the regular events and make it like "there is no key-stroks" :) altho it did happned..
and for that, you need to get the event first...

> (What do you mean by "paÃch"? As in "illegal hunting"? I couldn't find
> this word in my dictionaries).
>
> --Amos

Ido
--
QOTD:
        I'm not a nerd -- I'm "socially challenged".