On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:32:44PM +0300, Haggai Eran wrote:
> Hi
>
> There's this old computer that I've tried to pub debian on. It's a pentium 75
> with 40 MB RAM. The problem is that every once in a while, programs just give
> a Segmentation Fault for no good reason. Sometimes I even get an Oops saying
> that the kernel couldn't handle a NULL pointer.
>
> Do you know any more diagnostic tools that can help me figure this out?

  What is the kernel version? As an aside, my experience with 2.6 is
that it is not ready for prime time. In fact I am starting to understand
why Debian seems to insists that only *.*.20 is stable enough.

  Back to the subject, it could be a kernel or some app bug. One place
to start with is recording the kernel oops and analyzing it or submitting
a bug. Methods that come to mind:
1. Have a serial console with a log file.
2. Get the kernel patch or whatever utility that tries to records kernel
   oops. Never tried that myself.
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I