This is a sad news (although I doubt that many distributions will release
their kernel with Greg's hook removal of pwcx module)..

I think the cam driver author should have follow the same route that the
emu10k1 (Sound Blaster Live card driver) did - a simple driver which was
compiled without patching your existing kernel. Worked for me all the times.

Thanks,
Hetz