On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 12:58:47AM +0300, David Howard wrote:
> ik wrote:
>
> >I think that Knoppix, suse and Mandrake (well I never tried Knoppix
> >myself) that I tested was really nice, alto Mandrake is unfinished.. And
> >Suse requires a lot of work in order to make it Hebrew enabled.
>
> Presuming that a Hebrew interface is esential/important, perhaps a
> Hebraized Knoppix such as Kinneret or Kazit, or alternatively Boten or
> Ehad (hebraized Mandrake - temporarily unavailable) might be suitable?
> Kinneret and Kazit should be installable to HDD using the knoppix
> installer script.

Knoppix and the likes have many issues as a distro. Beginning with the
fact that they don't really provide security updates, as they are a
mish-mash of Debian branches, with their own custom kernel.

If you like Debian, try Sarge's new installer.

One bug in it: if yoou select "Hebrew" as your language then sometime
immidiestly after the end of the installation run:

echo he_IL.UTF-8 UTF-8 >>/etc/locale.gen
locale-gen

> http://www.linux-kinneret.org/index.html
> http://kazit.berlios.de/index.html
> http://www.mpthrill.com/peanut/
> http://ehad.berlios.de/
>
> If only word-processing and spreadsheets are really essential, then
> anything which will run OOo should suffice.

Hebrew file names should be handled properly. UTF-8 recommended.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+