The whole discussion is theoretic in my opinion, but just to correct
things:

> Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

> >Also, Magic keeps the "sources" as data inside its DB, which is called
> >btrieve. You might try to find something that can read btrieve DBs
> >(btrieve itself or something compatible).

This was the case a LONG time ago (about 15 years);

Then, Magic moved to virtual-DB (I was involved in that effort), and it
has supported C-Tree and Oracle for years.

BTrieve is still supported, but is not the "home" DB of Magic.

In other words, Magic has not been connected to a specific DB for about
15 years.

As far as I know, in the same time (about 15 years ago), the source was
also ported from Pascal to C (I was involved in that effort too). But
I'm not sure.

As far as I know, there was never graphical support under UNIX; it
started as a character-based support (under VT and ANSI TTYs and other
curses-based), continued to xterm, and then (maybe 10 years ago) they
started to bundle my hterm with their package; Although hterm was
developed for Hebrew purposes, they needed it for mouse support, semi-
graphics, and colors (color-xterm and the other options didn't exist in
that era).

Even without real graphics, the combination of Magic and UNIX (in most
cases - SCO) was great, and many businesses (such as McDonnald's)
adopted it in ALL of the POS'es (I don't have numbers, but I believe
hundreds of thousadns of end-user licenses of the SCO version were sold
through the years).

In the same time, nobody even planned to port Magic to a graphical
environment, because in the standards of that time, Magic was great and
very friendly; However, later Windows became more and more dominant, so
there was no choice anymore, and a big project named "leapfrog" was
started to port Magic from DOS to Windows; Such a project, as far as I
know, was never done for UNIX.

But again, this whole discussion is theoretical.

--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]