On Monday 22 November 2004 19:26, Noam Meltzer wrote:
> Maybe you need to install an update.
> It might be a known a bug with a fix...

3.0.1 is Mandrake's latest. Fedora has 4.1 which I'll try to install and
play with. I didn't find a list of "known issues" for vixie-cron, at
least not something pertaining to my problem.

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 10:53, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Isn't there a separate /var/log/cron/* in Mandrake?

Oh, indeed - I failed to notice it. but I just looked in all the files
and there's nothing interesting there. specificly errors is empty,
warnings contains some unrelated fluff and info contains the exact
output of grep CROND /var/log/messages

> Is it allowed to set a variable in cron.d files?

Yes - man 5 crontab

> Does it affect only the entries in the same file?

I have no idea: I was assuming that the answer is "yes", but I never
bothered to check it and the man pages are interestingly silent about
this issue.

On Monday 22 November 2004 18:53, Omer Zak wrote:
> Look for resource starvation.
>
> For example:
> If the user tasks utilize a partition different from the one/s used
> by the system tasks, and if the users' partition runs out of inodes,
> then you may be having problems.

I'm not sure how to go looking, but I didn't notice any other problems
that might be related to this issue. specificly if I run the tasks
manually or simply restart crond, everything works.

I finished installing vixie-cron 4.1-19 from FC3 source rpm - looks to
be working ok. Funnily it says in the log "STARTUP (V5.0)" when it
starts, but it runs my scripts just fine - I'll have to monitor it to
see if this indeed solved the problem, but as I have no idea how to
reproduce it, it might be 2 or 3 months till I know more.

--
Oded

::..
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."
        -- Illusions / Richard Bach