Quoting Yedidyah Bar-David, from the post of Tue, 30 Nov:

> Last note - I really do not understand this trend of compiling the
> kernel with a modular ext3, while defaulting "/" to be ext3, therefore
> forcing you to have an initrd, started by RH7.2. Of course some
> hardware will require it anyway, but common hardware won't.

I beg to differ. my hardware is the most common, plain home machine
available, and my entire system is ReiserFS-based. reiserfs is compiled
static while the ext2/3 are compiled modular for the odd needs of
interaction with the outside world.

> I stand corrected. Not that they made every effort to minimize the
> kernel - e.g., they do have IDE Floppy compiled in, as well as
> iso9660 (but IDE CDROM is a module).

now those ARE odd decisions :-/

--
Tough act to follow