[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Quoting Michael Ben-Nes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi All

Im running a postgres server on IBM machine with 2 Xeon 3G Cpu, 3 GB Mem
and Raid.

I decide to upgrade my server from dual AMD MP 2400, 2 GB mem and raid
to this machine because lately my queries became slower.
To my surprise the current server is even slower.

If your queries became to run slower execute the following
command in postgresql shell.

vacuum full all;

The is an external script that could be run fron crontab.
It will run vacuum on your database. Look in postgresql contrib package.

If the above advise is new to you, you should make sure you also run "analyze". This updates statistics about the tables, which helps postgres guess when to use an index, and when to do sequential scans (the automatic query optimizer).

However, Postgres 8 has an autovacum feature, which means that it automatically runs the maintenance every so often. It may be that these tips will not help you at all.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.