On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:41:16PM +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Ilya Konstantinov, from the post of Fri, 04 Mar:
> > It all depends on whether you partitioned your disk-on-key. By default,
> > you don't (just like you don't partition floppies). And there's nothing
> > wrong about mounting the disk device itself (sda) instead of a partition
> > on it (sda1).
>
> except if you want interoperability. most people get their DOK
> prepartitioned with part1 formatted as VFAT. this is how windows
> machines expect to see it too ("it" being any USB mass storage device,
> not to be confused with USB cdrom devices, which are never partitioned)

That's also what I thought, until around a week ago. Then a student
came with a DOK that wasn't partitioned, and Windows did see it. I
wasn't in tau, but the people that looked at it said that Windows saw
two drives - one a "floppy" (it was assigned "B:") and the other an
unpartitioned, formatted disk. In linux they saw only sda (and when
mounting it, saw the contents of the "disk" part in Windows).

So things are a little more complicated. If anyone sees a document that
describes this in detail, and how to work with such DOKs in Linux, I
would appreciate a pointer.

> > >   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > >
> > >/dev/sda1   ?     3709864     4044566    84344761   69  Unknown
> > >
> > Duh, it tries to interpret your vfat filesystem as if it was a MBR
> > structure.
>
> more exactly, a partition has already started where the partition table
> should have been.

Why "more exactly"? You said the same thing in different words.
Especially that it's not that it _should_ have been, as I said.
--
Didi