On Sunday 08 May 2005 15:40, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I tried to convince somebody I know to move to Linux at home and
>       at work. I am myself an advocate user of Linux at work and at home.
>
>       He works with a XP at work (a hightech company; however , he is
>       not a programmer) ,and also XP at home.

If he is not a programmer, i guess that he have some DOC files to work with.
Did you tried to work with ppl that have Word and you have OpenOffice? It can
do some trouble.
If he will move to linux and find that his best website don't work. You had
it!
I don't think that you can move desktop XP ppl to linux, they will eat you
alive.
>        When listing the main advantages of Linux , the most important one
> I had thought of was security ; when you access the internet from a Linux
> machine, chances that you get a virus or spyware or someone will intrude
> your machine are smaller ; He answered that , when thinking in the long
> term (2-3 years) , as more people will use linux as a desktop,
> this can be easiy changed; moreover, he claimed that since Linux is an open
> source,
> maybe it is even easier to develop viruses/spyware to it. In this point
> I did not know what to answer him. I am not a
> security expert; it could be that he is right in this point.

Ppl that look at me when i work on my laptop, start to lough. They don't
understand what i'm writing so much ;) And i just type shell commands.
So i use linux for its shell and programing ease.
I recently went to my cusins, they are 13. I have opened the start menu, and
all the 19'' disply was the start menu with like 100 games.
Now tell me, how can i move this babies to linux? What should i give them -
TUX racer ;)
Linux is now OS for ppl that need its advantages, and for the office and home
use, XP takes Linux hands down. Not in security, not in shell, not in bla bla
bla. Ppl just know XP, and all the scurity issues... "what is security?" ;)
If i don't know, i don't care.
Also, if he has problem, can you help him by phone? Did you try to explein
someone to vi a file and edit it? I tried it with my sister, when the network
was down, and belive me....
> Other Linux benefits that I thought of is that since Linux is open source,
> all applications he will probably need are handy for download; in winodws
> you cannot download office ....
>
> He argued that migrating to Linux will takes time because you need to learn
> many new things; The security solution of XP (the XP firewall) and
> the free antispyware sw are enough for him; And he isn't convinced
> that it is worth to inverst time in migating to Linux.
>
> Are there other Linux benefits which I can pose for moving to Linux ?
> (except the idea of moving to open and free source).
>

> Dan Kaspi

If Linux wants to be No.1, it should apeel to the games companies, and make
them program games just for linux, then children will want linux, and we'll
have the next generation. And this is the most important step to the future
of linux - the children ;)

kfir