On Tuesday 24 May 2005 20:32, Uri Bruck wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:

> >>This is a very well written article, which attempts to justify software
> >>and other intelectual property using the following skewed arguments:
> >
> > Do you mean it tries to justify software copyright infringement? And I
> > specificlaly mentioned that intellectual property was an incorrect term
> > because it isn't property and because copyrights, patents and trademarks
> > are completely different things that serve different purposes.
>
> But you just mentioned it, you didn't really give any compelling
> argument, or evena non-compelling one. Just a link to an opinion article
> by RMS. I respect the man, but I don't automatically have to accept his
> opinion on everything. "Thus Spake RMS" is not an argument.

I realize that "Thus Spoke RMS" is not an argument. But this article has an
opinion which is well-founded, well-explained and which I agree with.

Besides, how can debating whether the term "Intellectual Property" is valid,
can be anything except opinionated? Intellecutal property is copyrights,
trademarks, patents, trade secrets, etc. I'd like to propose the term
"Rindolfian Property" which will consist of owning Highland Cows, individual
pieces of carrots, lands that are composed entirely of grass, and copies of
emails that contain the string "sweet potato pie". Will the question whether
this "Rindolfian Property" makes sense or not can be proven mathematically?

> >>1. It isn't copy protected, so it's okay to steal.
> >
> > Infringing on one's copyright is not stealing, because copyrighted
> > bitbuckets are not property. Furthermore, making a copy of a song, video,
> > picture, etc. is not infringing on one's copyright.
>
> Distributing that copy is. Filesharing is distributing.

Like I said, distributing a copy non-commercially isn't infringing on one's
copyright, because traditional copyright law does not allow the copyright
holder to prohibit someone for doing that with a public work.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.