On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:36:59PM +0300, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> On Friday 08 July 2005 10:05, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
>
> > I now intend to clean everything up and make a few more tries. I'll try to
> > keep acurate records of what I do and see if the log entries can be of any
> > help.
>
> OK - I did several experiments. Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the
> situation I mentioned befor when pilot-xfer worked 2 times in about 20 tries.
> But here are the results of my experiments. I tried 3 different USB sockets
> on my machine. Below I've written what I did each time and included syslog
> entries.

I am very happy about your progress. I started feeling really bad
about this. For the record - I did see differences between the
connection reliability of different palms connected to the same usb
cable. Tungsten T3 was more problematic than Tungsten T and m130. But
the problems are occasional, not systematic or as frequent as yours. I
am also pretty sure it's a (partly) physical problem of the connection,
not (only) a software one.

There is no point in doing Ctrl-Z. If you want to shoot - shoot, don't
talk. Ctrl-C.

I did not thoroughly read all your tests and results. I do have two
points to make, some of them I already said in earlier posts.
1. There is no magic in /dev/pilot. The hotplug scripts choose the
device they think is the right one and make /dev/pilot a link to it.
It's very possible that they are wrong - as I said, it took me a lot of
work to automatically make only the above 3 devices work, and the
hotplug scripts intend to support theoretically all the devices. So,
when you return to playing with this, do the following:
connect the device/cable/hub etc. Press hotsync. Then try pilot-xfer or
whatever with /dev/ttyUSB[0123] directly, not /dev/pilot. Each time try
another one. I am pretty sure one (and probably only one) will work, and
will work all the time.
2. The behaviour you describe is definitely different from what I see
here (with all 3 devices) - none of them cause the creation of any
/dev/ttyUSB device on connection, and all cause creation of 2 devices (0
and 1 if it's the only device connected) when pressing hotsync in the
palm. They differ in which of the two devices actually work.

I never tried connecting through a hub, as far as I recall. I do not
think a hub should matter, assuming it's otherwise working well.

Good luck,
--
Didi