If your diagram/flowchart can be shown as a graph, you can try the graphviz program (debian: apt-get install graphviz )
You can create png files using the "-Tpng" switch.

Lior

Amir Binyamini wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a tool for creating PNG files on Linux.

My target is to create a simple diagam/flowchart file in PNG format, which mostly will use rectangles , arrows,lines, text inside the rectangles, and circles; I am not embedding an image files inside that PNG.

 The platforms I am working on are :
preferably RH9 ; and Fedora 4 as a second alternative.

I do not want to create JPEG/gif  and convert it.

I saw there is a tool named "inkscape" which seems a good candidate for such a task.
http://inkscape.sourceforge.net
Does anyone have some experience with it?

GIMP seems to heavy for that task.

Does anybody have some experience and recommend a tool for this job?

Regards,
Amir