Hillel wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am building a kernel module (char device) that should get runtime
> parameters from a user mode process.
> Among the info items that should flow to the module are strings and
> arrays. To my understanding I can use any of the following methods to
> achieve this: ioctl, sysfs, procfs, device read and write and system calls.
>
> Is there a preferred method? maybe a different one?

Another method you didn't mention is netlink sockets, they are currently
used to configure and get information on network devices, but are not
limited just to network devices.

I don't know to tell you about a preferred device overall, but if the
data is for configuration purposes than procfs would be a common method
for that. The user-mode gets a file to change and the kernel code has a
function called or a variable that is set for it.

I think that sysfs is a replacement of procfs for configuration but I
haven't updated about it so am not certain.

Adding a syscall is considered a bad way to do configuration, and ioctl
are considered a bad way to do syscalls.

device read and writes are better left for actual data transfer and not
for configuration.

Baruch