I played in the past with mplayer and hebrew subs, and i found that
mplayer has fribidi support.
<snip man mplayer>
       -flip-hebrew (FriBiDi only)
              Turns on flipping subtitles using FriBiDi.

       -noflip-hebrew-commas
              Change  FriBiDi's  assumptions  about the placements of commas in
              subtitles.  Use this if commas in  subtitles  are  shown  at  the
              start of a sentence instead of at the end.

       -fribidi-charset <charset name> (FriBiDi only)
              Specifies the character set that will be passed to  FriBiDi  when
              decoding non-UTF-8 subtitles (default: ISO8859-8).
</snip man mplayer>