On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 02:52:31PM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking into buying a computation server for a client. They are
> looking for the platform that will give them optimal INTEGER
> performance. I'm thinking between the 64Bits - PowerPC, Itanium and the
> EMT64/AMD64 technologies. I am also interested in more specific
> knowledge ("Xeon is better than Athelon" etc.).
>
> Thoughts? Ideas?

There are 3 kinds of lies:
Lies, damn lies, and benchmarks.
If at all possible, run your client's app on all relevant platforms.
That said, you might want to look at spec.org - they have specific
benchmarks. E.g. SpecInt2000 for integer cpu speed.
Do note that there are there quite noticable differences between
machines with the same CPU(s), which means that even for raw cpu speed,
not all machines are created equal.
--
Didi