Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 8/18/05, Baruch Even <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Amos Shapira wrote:
>>
>>>On 8/18/05, Baruch Even <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have gcc 3.3, 3.4 and 4.0 coexisting peacefully. There shouldn't be
>>any problem with that. There is no replaces or conflicts set in gcc 4.0
>>with regard to gcc 3.3
>

> So how come aptitude puts them on the same line?
> I mean it certainly looks like if I asked to update gcc then
> it will uninstall version 3.3.5 and install 4.0.1.
>
> I know that the gcc front end is designed to support multiple
> concurrent versions but it looks like the gcc 4 package will
> replace the gcc 3.
>
> To remind you - I'm on Testing ("etch"?).

I'm on testing as well, but I use dselect to do my upgrades so I don't
know what aptitude will do. And since I already have everything
installed I can't really try it out myself.

I'd suggest that you just go for it, you can always apt-get anything you
want and they will not conflict for apt-get.

I don't think aptitude will do anything anyway, it shouldn't remove gcc
3.3 when installing gcc 4.0

Baruch