Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

Moshe Akirav wrote:

Hi all,
I was wondering why don't I need to defragment my disk,
Everyone says it is not necessary,
Does anyone know the reason ?

There is no reason. Fragmentation can and will occur. It's true that due to file system design (I'm specifically relating to ext3/2 here) fragmentation may occur more slowly then with other systems/file systems, but it will occur.

And no, there is no reliable tool to defragment an ext2/3 partition.

Don't know about other file systems though.

Gilad

Thanks for the reply,
Can you point on a document describing ext3/2 design which I can understand from, why fragmentation accur more slowly on these type on FS.

Moshe.