On 18 Sep 2005 13:40:04 +0000, Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I see a lot of those in the log of my home machine. Basically, I have
> ssh open and I connect to the machine myself when I am at work,
> travelling, etc. I am typing this mail while connected via ssh.

I used to see tons of such attempts on my home machine too (I used to
have ssh and http services for private proposes) until I just moved to
services to some random non-standard ports. I still treated them
cautiously (no obvious passwords, no unprotected web applications etc)
but at least my logs stopped blowing up so fast every day, and I could
check them much more easely.

Port-Knocking always sounds like an attractive idea but I was worried
from getting stuck somewere where I couldn't run a client, and just
changing the port of the service was much easier and achieved similar
results.

One idea I never get around to implement is to fetch the public geoip
database and build a firewall rule which will ban most of the countries
of the world (e.g. I don't expect to login from Vietnam or provide family
photos to Tibet in the near future).

And BTW - the fail2ban that Baruch mentioned is the debian
package I was reffering to.

Cheers,

--Amos