Nadav Har'El wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005, Shachar Shemesh wrote about "Re: Actcom without a dailer
>costs more":
>

>>The network infrastructure is such that if you connect via DHCP, your
>>cable operator needs to know which ISP you belong to. They then allocate
>>an IP for you from that ISP's IP pool, and you are connected. The
>>information regarding who connected when never reaches the ISP, and they
>>

>Why does the information regarding who connected never reach the ISP? How
>hard is it for the cable company to send some sort of message to the ISP,
>saying that client X (defined by home address, MAC address, or whatever the
>cable company uses to define people) is now associated with IP address Y?

Because they are using a CISCO DHCP server? Or was it Microsoft?
Because they claim that they need to protect privacy of users?

I think the main answer is "Because we are in Israel".

The bottom line is that I heard cases where there was actual abuse
requests, and the ISP, who is legally responsible for anything done from
that IP, could not, or had a hard time, getting the logs of who
connected to that IP at a specific time.

          Shachar