Dear list,

I was surprised to read about SCO's "Linux License", and I decided to
search on Google.  I search for linux license and got 10 websites - 8 of
them have the word SCO in the title (and all the first 5).  At least the
2 first websites are of SCO itself.  Here they are for your reference:

http://www.thescogroup.com/scosource/linuxlicensefaq.html
http://ir.sco.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=115527

After reading them, I got the impression that SCO thinks they own Linux.
Maybe Linux is not a Free Software after all?  Do they really have
rights for it?  Cause if not, it's a hell of a scam here.  And if they
do, we might all be infringing their rights by using Linux without
paying them?

Here's a quote from one of the websites:
"The run-time license permits the use of SCO's intellectual property, in
binary form only, as contained in Linux distributions. By purchasing a
SCO Intellectual Property License, customers avoid infringement of SCO's
intellectual property rights in Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.5 kernels. Because
the SCO license authorizes run-time use only, customers also comply with
the General Public License, under which Linux is distributed."

It seems to me that the SCO license is not compatible with the General
Public License.  That is, each one infringes the other.  Anyway, if SCO
does have legitimate rights to require a license, are people and
companies who use linux breaking the law?  Can they be sued or charged
with criminal law?  It may be another reason why people will not want to
use Linux.

And if SCO doesn't have legitimate rights on Linux, how come they charge
a license?  It's supposed to be Free Software!  I really don't understand.

P.S. I read in the FAQ about lawsuits of SCO against IBM and Red Hat
against SCO.  It's a hell of a battle here.  Good vs. Evil!

Best Regards,

Uri Even-Chen
Speedy Net
Raanana, Israel.