Hi Amos,

> Oops you are right. I forgot to mention this but I'm not near the camera
> to give its exact details - it's one of the cheapo cams which were available
> already three years ago. I think it's just called "quickcam pro".

On your USB cable there's a sticker (if it's still there) - the full
name of the camera is there.

> Is this the "Pro" or is there a "non-Pro" version? I've seen the "Pro"
> mentioned
> many times in relation to Linux.
>
> Thanks for the recommandation.

It's: Logitech Quickcam pro 4000.

> Still - can't I take advantage of the higher resolution available with some of
> the cameras? I mean - if you look at zap.co.il you can find cameras with
> 640x480 resolution:
> http://www.zap.co.il/models.asp?Sog=C-Webcam&DB66204=66205

Of course you can, it's really depend on the application that you're
using (or hacking).

> Another confusing matter is the state of Video 4 Linux - should I track V4l2
> or v4l (1)? Is there a comprehansive list of supported cameras (as opposed to
> supported cheaps)?

If I recall correctly, V4L2 is backward compatible with V4L (which is
actually "V4L1"), so you should follow the V4L2. Kernel 2.6.x has all
the V4L2 support needed.

> And one last bit - does anyone here have experience in streaming webcam output
> between Linux and Windows XP?

Define streaming? what exactly do u want to do?

Thanks,
Hetz