On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 15:12 +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:52:43PM +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Before we go into an all out war, may I suggest what I suggested to the
> > said nVidia dev?
> > Open -all- the generic code (AKA kernel interfaces, etc) creating a
> > fully open driver and push all the NDA'ed stuff into a closed source
> > pluggable module. (Which they already have - the nVidia libGL library)
> > If you do it right, people will have the choice of using the same open
> > source driver: Either when combined with MesaGL (fully open source) or
> > when combined with nVidia GL (semi-closed source).
>
> Sounds like a step in the right direction, if the open source driver
> indeed does not require the closed source part for functioning.
> This is probably a good time to mention that a large number of the
> kernel devlopers consider *any kind of binary-only module* infringing
> on their rights and not allowed under the GPL.

To be honest, I don't like fanatics of all kinds and colors.
They tend to view their cause as absolute and blow things up.
Taking Robin Williams' words in "Good Morning Vietnam":
"Some people in the FOSS community are in more dire need of a blowjob
than any white man in history"

In short, in my view, hopefully someone, somehow will find a way in-
between * without starting yet another holly war (against nVidia) which
we have no hope to win. (It's much easier for them to stop supporting
Linux/BSD completely)

* A way that will enable me to play Doom3 and Quake4 on my Opteron
box :)

> > Side note:
> > Considering the fact that nVidia has full Linux i386, x86-64, BSD i386
> > (x86-64 once it matures) and OpenSolaris support, the FOSS community
> > should consider finding means of communicating and/or cooperating with
> > nVidia instead of repeating that old "We are saints, so screw you all"
> > act.
>
> I'm all for cooperation. Almost as much as I'm against closed source
> drivers.

Simple: Don't buy nVidia.
The ATI r300 family of GPUs (Radeon 7xxx/8xxx and maybe 9xxxx) is known
work nicely with the open source driver.
Linux/BSD is all about choice, isn't it?

> Cheers,
> Muli

Gilboa