On ג', 2005-11-08 at 14:49 +0200, David Harel wrote:
> 1. Just for the sake of understanding, If I do:
>     %  cat mymusic.wav > /dev/dsp
>     I should here the music right? cos it doesn't work.

It's not that trivial. /dev/dsp cannot just accept a WAVE file as-is.
You need to first set it up with some ioctl calls and then write only
the sound chunks of the WAVE file. That's what players do.

> 2. After I installed so many audio tools and still can't find my arms
>     and legs in the mess, can you direct me to a command that does the
>     synthesizing? for what I care, to a file will be fine. But now that
>     I think of it, It should operate my sound card just as amarok does.

Timidity should be all you need. You can use it to:
1. Play a MIDI file directly (it'll read the .MID file, synthesize the
music and play it to your /dev/dsp -- your /dev/sequencer won't be
involved at all)
2. Provide your /dev/sequencer-less PC with a /dev/sequencer device.

Try the first approach first. Only if you want to use other programs
(such as KMid) to play MIDIs you will need the second approach.

> 3. I understand I should also get a file that synthesizes different
>     musical instruments. Can you explain about that as well?

Modern packages (RPMs, DEBs) of Timidity should come with pre-recorded
(known as "wavetable synthesis") samples of all the General MIDI
standard musical instruments.