Hi,

I am receiving the following from one of my SCSI devices:
# smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: FUJITSU  MAT3073NP        Version: 0107
Serial number: AAS0P5300NP3
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: Parallel SCSI (SPI-4)
Local Time is: Sun Nov 13 15:40:07 2005 IST
Device supports SMART and is Disabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
SMART Health Status: HARDWARE IMPENDING FAILURE DATA ERROR RATE TOO HIGH
[asc=5d, ascq=12]

Current Drive Temperature:     33 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        65 C
Manufactured in week 10 of year 2005
Current start stop count:      10 times
Recommended maximum start stop count:  10000 times

Error counter log:
          Errors Corrected    Total      Total   Correction     Gigabytes
Total
              delay:       [rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed
uncorrected
            minor | major  rewrites]  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]
errors
read:          0     5486        63         0          0       2306.115

63
write:         0        1         0         0          0       2267.546

0

Non-medium error count:       16
No self-tests have been logged
Long (extended) Self Test duration: 1919 seconds [32.0 minutes]

What does it mean: HARDWARE IMPENDING FAILURE DATA ERROR RATE TOO HIGH

Is the disk bad?

--

Noam Rathaus
CTO