Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:13:38 +0200
From: Uri Even-Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: linux-il <linux-il@linux.org.il>
Subject: [off topic] A new project - automatic translation

Hi people,

I am thinking about starting a new open source project related to
automatic translation.  The idea is to create a website and/or software
that will automatically translate texts from one language to another.  I
want the website or software to be able to get feedback from users and
learn from mistakes.  The quality of translation should improve over time.

I would like to get your feedback about this idea:
- Do you think it's a good idea?
- Do you think it can be implemented?
- Do you have any suggestions how to implement it?
- How many people are necessary to implement such an idea?
- Are you interested in being involved?

Personally I think there is a need for such a website or software.
There are existing websites or softwares, but they have three main
disadvantages:

1. Some of them are not free.
2. Most of them support only a few languages.
3. I think all of them should improve the quality of translation.

I want to have a website that support many languages, its usage is free,
and the quality of translation will improve over time.

What do you think?

It is not so much a question of implementation, free or not, website or
program, but of algorithms. Before you run to implement, you need to
research the subject.  Many researchers already are researcing it,
and as you can see, the results are far from perfect, since this is a
problem of natural languages.

Orna.
--
Orna Agmon http://ladypine.org/  http://haifux.org/~ladypine/