On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 23:29 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to HOT dropping the cartoon channel, I have been asked by my number
> 1 TV viewer (my 10 year old son) to consider dropping our cable TV and
> going to Yes.
>
> This would also mean dropping my cable internet connection and 077 voice
> line.
>
> I currently use Netvision as my ISP and want to continue with them. I connect
> via a cable modem to a Linux machine as a router/firewall. It uses pptp
> as it's connection protocol. Obviously I would like to keep the same
> system, though the exact method can be changed.

My laptop is configure to use what-ever DSL/Capable I can hook up to.
Most ADSLs either use PPPOE (RP-PPPOE) or PPTP (which you already have).
I seen a couple that use l2tp, but it's a rather rare event.

RP-PPPOE:
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

> The system is old running a 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> If I were to drop the cable modem and get an aDSL line, how would I
> connect? I need an ethernet modem or do I need a router? I'm familiar
> with the standard ECI router/modem and have installed it as a router for
> friends thanks to the instructions posted on this list.
> Are they still available? If not, what has replaced them that is "linux
> friendly"? I would prefer something that is self contained and does not
> need a firmware load at each power on.
> How does one get them from BEZEQ? Do you have to force them to give you
> one or can you get it by just asking for it? If you have to buy one
> elsewhere, any recommendations in the Jerusalem area?

Ask for an external ADSL to Ethernet modem (Don't accept "newer"
USB-only modems)
Bezeq will most likely get you an ECI modem which works just fine. (Over
PPPOE)
Plus, external modems are unlikely to need an external firmware.

> I'm especialy looking for low latency devices as I have a VoIP line.

Modem latency is will below 1ms. Even USB ones.

> On another note, anyone know if there are options for YES hardware that
> are compatible with MythTV or another linux based PVR? I don't plan to
> get one at first, but I would hate to get the wrong thing now.

AFAIK, yes. (A friend of mine has a Yes/MythT.V setup.)
But you'll need to reconfigure everything from scratch.
Though AFAIK I HOT-MythTV. still work better.

> Geoff.

Gilboa