Hi Geoffrey,

I have WRT54G which was sent to me from the states by my friend.

> 1. The stock firmware will not connect via a cable modem to all ISPs and
>    some via aDSL.

I have tested the Version 3 of firmware to connect both to cables and
ADSL with at least 3 ISP's (total: 6 tests). All the test have been
passed.

> 2. The stock firmware will operate on channels 1-13, only 4-8 are allowed
>   in Israel and therefore customs can refuse to let you import it.
>
> 3. Some units have higher than 100mw EIRP (radiated power) and may not
>   be used in Israel. Again, if they want to customs can refuse it.

Either they are very dumb, or the importer is very smart, because I
just bought the same router here in Israel for my friend which had
tons of problem with her previous router, and the options that the
firmware had, are the EXACT same as my US router, same for the EIRP,
and I bought her router from Office Depot In Rishon.

> 4. The transformers will be 120 volt.

Easier to buy a simple transformer. The cost is small and here it
works perfectly well.

> If you are running SVEASoft's or another Linux distribution you can get by
> number 1, if you know what you are doing, you can get by number 2, but
> if a customs agent does not care to listen, you can't convince them.

I haven't played yet with SVEASoft's firmware. I need to check if it
support UPnP and if it's better in the reception setting compared to
Linksys V4 firmware (V3 was a disaster. I had tons of disconnections
even when the distance was around 3 meters with s small wall between
rooms (the wall have some holes). V4 fixed this issue.

Thanks,
Hetz