Hi All

Ok so this is from a while ago and it's still OT, but I do think its info that could benefit people on this list.  I got a few replies privately and I'm going to summarize all that info.  Incidentally I didn't mention where I lived because I was looking for a chain... but I got back all the info I needed anyway.  So no, there's nothing like Radio Shack in Israel :)

TEL AVIV REGION

The consensus here is the central bus station area.

A dozen or so shops in Har-Tzion, Wolfson and Matalon streets:

- Siman Tov Electronics

- Avi Even Electronics, 22 Hartzion St, http://www.even-elect.co.il/HTMLs/Home.aspx (IE site)

- A shop inside the old bus station.

and in Ramat Gan / Givataim:

- "Shamsi Electronics", 153 Katzanelson St

JERUSALEM

- "Kashayof"

HAIFA

- Leon electronics (לאון אלקטרוניקה)

- There's a shop on or near Gedera street.

Thanks to Leonid Podolny, Jason Friedman, Arik Baratz, Shahar Dag, Ilya Konstantinov and Aaron Aamehl for contributing.

Gadi

P.S.  A friend of mine from South Africa with a degree in electrical engineering has offered to build me the EEG unit, so maybe I'll have something interesting to post in a few months.

Gadi Cohen wrote:

Sorry for two OT posts in one day, but I'm an oleh chadash with no
friends so go easy on me :)  Actually this post has a loose connection
to Linux (see below).

Where can I buy electronic parts in Israel?  Like an equivalent of Radio
Shack?

Amongst other things I'm interested in building the home-made EEG (the
device used to measure brainwave activity) found at
http://openeeg.sf.net/ - and most the analyzation software is built in
Linux.

For those of you interested in brainwave entrainment, there are some
great linux utilities for binaural beats here:
http://sbagen.sourceforge.net/  (Say you put 100 Hz in your left ear,
and 108 Hz in your right ear, the difference, the frequency of 8 Hz
forms inside your brain, and your dominant brainwave frequency tends
towards it (FFR) - in this case 8 Hz is in the alpha range, so after
hearing this for a few minutes you start feeling alot more relaxed).  By
progressively lowering the binaural beat frequency you can entrain to
the same states achieved by experienced meditators, as measured by EEG
devices.

I'll make this even more interesting to make up for the double OT post.

Craniel Electro Stimulation (CES) involves attaching ear clips to both
your ear lobes and sending a low current straight through your brain.
There is a device called the Voodoo Magick Box which does this at a
frequency of 0.5 Hz and while it's on you feel like you're high :)  More
info at http://ces.wastelands.net/  One of the reasons I'd like to build
an EEG is I'm working on a project to use your PC's own soundcard to
generate the current and want to test its effectiveness.

Gadi

P.S. If anyone has experience in building in electronic devices and is
interested in assembling some of these things for me in exchange for
payment, please contact me privately.

--
Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast