Guess what Geoff:

India isnt that cheap anymore and programming jobs are coming back to America, to the mid-West, places like Omaha, where the cost of living is cheap (cheaper than Israel btw)

There is a level playing field - and if the only advantage you have is price, you've lost. We have to compete on creativity and writing great software.

dL

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

While people are complaining about the paranoia of the U.S. government,
they are ignoring the most likely explanation. A big political thing in
the U.S. now is "offshoring", the loss of "American" jobs to people in foreign countries.

It's a big problem in heavily industrialized nations because the price of
labor and benefits is so high that people in India and in some cases Israel
can compete very well. Call centers are programming are the hot items now,
manufacturing slipped so long ago, I wonder if anything is made in the
U.S. at all.

People have begun to realize that the jobs they lose are their own, and
are complaining. The Bush administration has a let it happen attitude, the
Democrats are against it. It will be a major issue in the next (2006 Congressional and 2008 Presidential) elections.

The UAE ports debate was just a smokescreen, no matter who owns or "operates"
them, the work still has to be done in the U.S. However the ports are highly
unionized and the workers were afraid the new owners would not honor the
old owners contracts or bring in cheap nonunion labor from overseas.

My guess is that members of the congressional committe in charge of defense
spending are up for reelection and if they are on record of aproving "offshoring" they will be looking for new jobs in December.

It would be wise to pay attention to what happens, not only does it affect
the Israeli job market, but in ten years those of us who are left here
will be complaining that all the programing jobs went to India and China.

Geoff.