On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Michael Vasiliev wrote:

> On Sunday March 26 2006 09:31, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
> > Michael Vasiliev wrote:
> > > Oded, there are some things that I will certainly not tolerate on this
> > > list and xenophobia is one of them. Consider yourself officially warned.
> > > In case you decide to continue pursuing that topic, I'll arrange you a
> > > personal vacation with less reading and writing. Have a nice day.
> >
> > Have you never heard of freedom of speech?  I don't agree with what he
> > said, but he has the right to think and say it!  He didn't curse and
> > didn't break any rule, he just said that he thinks the American decision
> > makers are stupid.  I think there are some truth in it.  But I wouldn't
> > use the word stupid - I would use the words arrogant, selfish etc.
>
> First of all, I am a subscriber of the list for years, under various
> identities, and I think no one ever claimed that this list is to be a model
> of perfect democracy. I have reasons to believe that its creators never
> intended it to be like that (otherwise, why there is a mod?).

I don't know what the original creator intention was, but I was trying my
best during the years that things will be decided in a democratic way.
True we never had official voting, but usually it was clear which side
most of the people who posted supported. I don't think anyone on the list
think xenaphodia should be allowed, there is just an argument on when it's
bad enough to be thrown off the list, in that case I think respecting the
view of the moderator unless it's something completly out of place is the
correct action.

> Second, it is natural that every list subscriber have the right to say or yell
> whatever he likes AND take full responsibility for his words. I don't think
> that freedom of speech is all about the ability to troll or initiate a smear
> campaign every time you have a bad day.

Maybe we should add don't drink and post to the rule list;)

> Third, I reserve the right to decide on my own what I see fit and what not, in
> absence of the board of moderators. Quite frankly, I don't need to explain my
> actions to anyone and my decisions are final. When each and every one joined,
> he or she agreed on the fact that the list is post-moderated. If any of the
> subscribers feel very uneasy about this fact, they are welcome to raise the
> topic on the public discussion, mail the owner, or, ultimately, un-subscribe
> <sigh>.

The list should be informative and fun to read. But that changes according
to the people who read the list. I find it that if someone behave in a way
that "disturb" (whatever that will mean). It's usualy very effective to
email that person off the list and politly ask hir to stop.
If that person feel it wasn't right s/he usually address the list ask for
opinion and in the result becomes yet another unwritten rule.
(Which are much more fun than those boring written ones:)

> Fourth, the topic has been raised in the past and my actions were questioned
> before. For some people, even my occasional interference with the _free_
> discussion is bad enough. I want to make clear that there are no strict
> guidance or censorship on that list, other that the usual screening of
> automatically selected incoming mails to detect spam. No matter how silly I
> think the post is, it is being let through, and only then I decide on it's
> quality. Most curious readers could find exactly how many posts have the

People with power always get questioned:) it comes with the job.
Breaks and balance:)

> Fifth, I understand completely that the spirit of freedom, so abundant in the
> main topic of this list, has to manifest itself somehow in the list rules.
> For this reason, I suggest that the moderator group position(s) should be
> filled by annual election, similarly to moderated Usenet groups.

*Sign*, Do we really need all that?
To be honest I don't think a mailing list should have rules at all.
How about change it to guidelines?
Anyhow how many other people can do as good job as you do?:)
I hardly bother to read the spam that get to the list anymore these days
because everytime you seem to beat me to it:)

> Now, I strongly suggest that all inquiries of that nature should be directed
> to me or Ely via private mail. There is no reason to add to traffic on this
> list with discussions of that nature.

I think that something like elections deserves a public discussion?

Ely