On 5/9/06, Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 07:06:50PM +0200, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to open rar archive that has files in Hebrew (copied from windows).
> I set my konsole to 'unicode_start' and 'export LANG=he_IL'.

is he_IL UTF-8?
Yes, by default in gentoo it will use UTF-8

> Opening the archive, I can see at the console the names of the files in
> Hebrew.
> The problem is when I try to see the files from konqueror.
> How can I see the files in konqueror? Should I convert them to another
> encoding?
>
> Is there a way to know what is the encoding of the files, and then
> convert them to utf8? (Tried with 'tr' but there is a problem with the
> size of one char encoding. Also used 'ls -Q'  and 'od' to see the
> actual bytes).

You can script the process using something of the sort of:

mv "$filename" "`echo $filename| iconv -f cp1255`"

I recall someone mentioned in the list an existing script that does exactly that
converion.

> I also want to burn the files on a cd that windows users can see.
> So what encoding should I use when preparing the ISO image?

mkisofs known how to convert them to UTF-16 from yourcurrent locale, I
believe. Try simply using mkisofs -r -J -quiet
Is UTF-16 is the encoding for windows?

-- Tzafrir