note that:

1. various projectors support a limited resolution (e.g. up to 800x600).
2. various projectors support a limited refresh rate (e.g. up to 75Hz).

if you try to feed them with a higher resolution/refresh rate, they go
blank.

what you might want to do, is prepare an alternative X configuration file
with 800x600 at 70Hz, and launch a 2nd X server for use with projectors -
it _might_ help.

--guy

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:46:47 +0300
> From: Gabor Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: projectors and Linux
>
> I am always struggling with this, maybe someone can help.
>
> Nearly always when I connect my notebook to projector
> I have to reboot the notebook so it will recognize the projector.
>
> Then when it boots it is always in 640x480 resolution and I don't even have
> higher resolution in Screen Resolution Preferences. (Using Ubuntu).
>
> I m sure this can be easily solved, so what magic should I do that
> 1) I can use my standard resolution 1024x768 on the projector
> 2) I can justconnect my already running notebook , press Fn-F3
>    and start talking ?
>
> Gabor

guy

"For world domination - press 1,