On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:12:17PM +0300, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about what just went on here. Geoffrey claimed GP
> Holdings are an evil company, but how does that translate into meaning
> this little piece of hardware called GP2X is something that's a "scam"?
> When you say "scam", I'm lead to think either:

> 1. It's not really being sold (i.e. I'll pay the online store and it
> won't ever send it to me)

They will, but it will not be sold in Israel.

> 2. The specs presented in the online store are false - e.g. they say it
> has a 200MHz CPU and it has only a 100MHz one, it runs WinCE instead of
> Linux etc.

The software does not do what they say it will, the SDK isn't really
there, they just copied marcom docs and a business plan from someone
and can't get it together to acutaly provide anything beyond hardware.

It's like the movie "Galaxy Quest". The aliens copied what they saw
on TV from signals that eventually reached them many years after
being transmitted. What they did not realize was the show (modeled
after Star Trek) was science fiction not reality.

The aliens were unable to operate the technology they copied. In this case,
GP does not have the intelligence the aliens in the movie had. They could
build the device, they could copy the docs, but they cannot make it work
inside.

> ... or was it just "Don't buy from them - they're evil"?

That's a whole another issue. I don't care to go into that here.

BTW, the Israeli company is looking for someone to build a GUI for it.
Very little money, if any at the moment, but there will be other compensation.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838