On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 02:18:18PM +0300, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> Hi,
> Either I'm missing something very obvious, or udev doesn't support
> generic (i.e. non-tty, non-dev-null, etc) character devices. Can it
> possibly be? As a matter of fact, I tried to compare the state of the
> /sys tree before and after the device registers itself and haven't seen
> any notable difference.
> Currently, the /dev nodes are created by a little /etc/modprobe.d/
> scriptlet, which deletes the old nodes, then greps the /proc/devices and
> creates all the relevant nodes, but this scriptlet grows messy and the
> udev solution looks fantastic.

First, is your "generic character device" hooked into the object model
and sysfs? if yes, udev might create device nodes for it
automatically. If not, that's the first thing to fix. If it is and
udev doesn't do the right thin, you probably need to add a udev rule
for it. More intelligent answer is contingent on more info - e.g.,
which devices.

Cheers,
Muli