The stylesheet defines the Hebrew text as font-family: David

I don't know if David is an OpenType font. I know it is TrueType. I am viewing the site on the same Windows XP Pro (SP2) machine using Firefox 1.5.0.4 and IE 6.0. I did a search on my system but I did not find uniscribe.dll. How do I check if firefox is using uniscribe.dll? If not is there an easy way to install it?

Thanks,

David Suna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:
Hi David,
Correct display of Hebrew with diacritics ("nukud") depends on two factors. The first is having diacritic support in the display font. The second is the ability of the display engine.

If the display font is an OpenType font with diacritics and GSUB and GPOS table data for correct positioning of the diacritics relative to the character glyphs, and the display engine is OpenType capable, then the application should display Hebrew correctly with diacritics (assuming the font is not buggy).

If the display font is not OpenType but has diacritics, and the display engine has Hebrew capabilities (pre-Opentype uniscribe.dll, unicows.dll), then the application should be able to display Hebrew with diacritics placed under the center of the glyphs of the characters that they follow in the base text. In-letter diacritics such as the accent ("dagesh") cannot be displayed correctly.

So, to test to see if this is really a Firefox issue, you need to view the text in IE and in FireFox for Windows using the *same* Windows OS and the *same* display font (assuming that Firefox under Windows uses the uniscribe.dll display engine). If the display appears different in FireFox for Windwos that in IE and you are sure that the display font is identical, then the problem is either that FireFox is not using the uniscribe.dll display engine (might be using FreeType but not likely) or that there really is a bug in FireFox.
Regards,

 - yba