> I want to produce a latex document template that looks similar to
> professional books' templates. That is, with notes bounded by a box of
> different color and having a picture on the top of the box. There's a book
> series with ants teaching you java and C++ with many examples for such a
> template.
> there are three elements I don't know how to implement by latex
>
>   1. bounding a piece of text, that may span across more than one page,
>   with box.
I'm not sure about the spanning more than one page part.

>   2. Colouring a box with gradient color. Alternatively, setting a
>   background image to the box

You can make nice coloured, gradient boxes using the pgf package

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf

In the manual, there are examples of placing text on such backgrounds.

>   3. changing a text so that it'll appear vertically instead of
>   horizontally

there is a package called rotating that does this. do a search on ctan.

Jason

--
Jason Friedman
Ph.D. Student