On Monday October 23 2006 20:28, Gil Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a Amavis+SA+CLAM for mail filtering (debian sarge packages).
> Recently I am being hit by a lot of image spam. Bayesian filtering and
> RBL's are not enough.

These mails are terrible, while my personal accounts get a few dozen each,
Linux-IL posting address gets a hundred per day minimum. If we only relied on
SA's checking, this list would look much worse than LKML. Most of these
emails are a crazy mix of sentences on random topics, probably web-crawler
generated, plus a gif image with a nasty ad of some kind (I never care enough
to mimedecode them). The problem is that many of these are full of IT terms,
some even Linux-related and making sense to a certain degree, at least to SA.
These require me to actually read spam, and not skim through as I usually do.

On the positive side of this annoyance is that I've developed an unusual and
useless "skill" of reading through HTML pages without even noticing the tags.
I wish they were sending spam in assembly language, preferrably of various
arch-s, I'm becoming a bit rusty lately. :)

SA's Bayesian filtering is terrible, I don't know why. (All right, I admit I
am too lazy and illiterate at adult-level mathematics to figure out why). I'm
running SA and bogofilter in parallel, clearly bogofilter is at least twenty
times more accurate. SA's learning is not really effective, you can feed in a
dozen of spam emails following the same pattern, and seconds later you get
another false negative, which is "something completely the same". Are the
algorithms really identical?

> I have read of an OCR option for SA 3.01, but I before going to source
> packages or moving to etch, I would like to see of there are other
> options available for the current installation.

Isn't that very, very slow and very, very inaccurate? Spamassasin is notorious
for being a memory and CPU hog, adding another extension to fight a lost
battle will make it even worse.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Michael Vasiliev

Let me have men about me that are fat
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
                        -- William Shakespeare: Julius Caesar